NJHS CANDIDATE CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Eligible candidates will receive an invitation email through his/her LAUSD email account to the NJHS Candidates Class.
The Faculty Council selects students who meet the requisite G.P.A and demonstrate outstanding performance in all five academic achievement criteria, Leadership, Service, Citizenship, and Character. Below is a brief description of what the Faculty Council is looking for in our candidates:
Academic Achievement (Scholarship):
The scholarship requirement set by the National Council is dependent on the student's cumulative grade point average. The necessary G.P.A. is a 3.0 average for the first three quarters of the previous school year. A member student must maintain this academic standard while active in the chapter.
The leadership criterion is highly essential for membership selection. The student should:
· Be resourceful in proposing new problems, applying principles, and making suggestions
· Demonstrate initiative in promoting school activities
· Exercise a positive influence on peers in upholding school ideals
· Contribute ideas that improve the civic life of the school
· Be able to delegate responsibilities
· Exemplify positive attitudes
· Inspire positive behavior in others
· Demonstrate academic initiative
· Hold school offices or positions of responsibility effectively and efficiently
· Be a leader in the classroom, at work, and in other school or community activities
· Be thoroughly dependable in any responsibility accepted
· Be willing to uphold scholarship and maintain a loyal school attitude
Service refers to the action of helping or doing work for the public or an organization. In considering service as a requirement, the candidate's documentation is essential.
The student who demonstrates citizenship:
· Understands the importance of civic involvement
· Has high regard for freedom, justice, and respect of the American form of government
· Demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as community organizations, and school clubs.
National Junior Honor Society is part of the Character Counts Coalition. Character demonstrates the following six pillars/qualities: respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, and citizenship.